Musings, thoughts, getting through winter, and news links

Friday, March 09, 2007

New Zealand Wines


Ahh....having returned to Canada from the sun and warmth of New Zealand, I had to face the cold, but only for 2 days. It is starting to warm up today, and should get even warmer over the weekend. Excellent! I picked my days right. I missed all the problems from the last week - ice, snow, accidents, and no gas! Whoo-hoo!

But alas, my comment today is not about weather. It is about the amazing wineries of New Zealand! I am not the only one who seems to think so. There is a giant spread in the Weekend section of USA today. I only had the chance to visit the wineries of Central Otago, but I had the opportunity to try wines from most of the wine regions. I tried a Pinot Noir from the Nelson, Central Otago, Martinborough regions, a Sauvignon Blanc from Martinborough, Pinot Gris from Central Otago, Gewurtzarminer from Central Otago, and a Riesling from Martinborough. I preferred the wines I tried in Central Otago to the other regions. Granted, I didn't try a lot from other regions, but I had my fill! What struck me most about NZ is that the wines listed on each and every restaurant winelist seemed to be primarily Kiwi! Maybe it was the restaurants I dined at, but I rarely saw an option for anything other than Kiwi. Also, I was only drinking by the glass, so maybe the main focus was local. It was very encouraging.

5 Comments:

Blogger the ginger tabby said...

How was the Gewurtzarminer from Central Otago? Something I would like?

6:05 PM, March 09, 2007

 
Blogger Allison said...

I liked it, but it wasn't as sweet as those from Alsace. It reminded me more of those from the Niagara Region. A little more tart.

4:35 PM, March 12, 2007

 
Blogger Peter said...

We weren't at all wild about the Gewurztraminers. Or the Rieslings. Or the Pinot Gris. Or most of what we tried other than the Martinborough Sauvignon Blancs and Central Otago Pinot Noirs. Some mighty fine stuff between them. And a few interesting roses!

7:45 PM, March 13, 2007

 
Blogger Peter said...

I see that the USA Today article quotes Michael Seresin. We liked his winery and its wines (and olive oils!) more than most any other. The Marama Sauvignon Blanc is my must-have wine!

7:49 PM, March 13, 2007

 
Blogger Allison said...

I will have to seek out Seresin. One day I will find it! The LCBO just doesn't stock (nor do they have much of a selection of NZ wines period). The Central Otago Pinot Noirs really blew me away. I really need to try those from Felton Rd. I bought the New Zealand Wine guide on my way out of the country, and am now kicking myself that I didn't enjoy more while I was there. Well, just another reason to go back!

3:07 PM, March 16, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home