Musings, thoughts, getting through winter, and news links

Monday, February 12, 2007

It looks like winter is here to stay


This is what we are facing in the next 24-48 hours in the GTA. At least I only have another 5 days of winter (at least I hope that that's it for the season). Maybe when I come back in early March (from the sunnier climes of New Zealand) it will all be over. I am really tired of these bone chilling temperatures, having to wear wool pants and sweaters all the time, and of the general malaise brought on by weather like this.

The one bright light in all of this is the new album by the Good the Bad and the Queen. The album was definitely a grower, but I am loving it now. What a unique sound. Great lyrics. I will delve much deeper into this album on my trip to the southern hemisphere.

The only other thing keeping me going (other than my holiday) is the Oscars. Less than 2 weeks to go now. Who do I think will win in the major categories

Best picture: The Departed (easily tied for my fave movie of the year - the others: Little Miss Sunshine and the Queen)
Best actor: Forrest Whittaker (loved him and the movie)
Best actress: the queen herself - Helen Mirren
Best supporting actor: Alan Arkin (it was a hard decision because both Jackie Early Haley and Marky Mark were just so good)
Best supporting actress: Adriana Barraza (wow, she blew me away in Babel)
Best director: finally the nod will go to Scorcese
Best foreign language: I think it will go to Pan's Labyrinth, but I really want After the Wedding to win because it stars my favourite foregin film actor Mads Mikkelsen (who is really a way better actor than the lines he was given in Casino Royale)
Adapted screenplay: Little Children
Originaly Screenplay: Little Miss Sunshine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home