Musings, thoughts, getting through winter, and news links

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Dave Day


The cult of Dave Day. Never did I know that such a day existed, but I am glad it does. Everyone should celebrate the continued existence of Dave Gahan (and be thankful that he did not meet his maker during those couple of occasions when he OD'd in the 1990's). Imagine being in Moscow in May 1992 and watching newly freed Moscovites sing along to Depeche Mode songs. Wow! Who knew that DM had made its way into communist Russia - illegal taping is the answer. Its like current illegal downloaders. Put an obscure/unavailable artist onto the internet and watch their popularity grow.

I admit it, I am a huge DM fan. I have seen them live on 6 separate occasions. I once even had front row seats, and was rewarded with a hand tap from the man himself! Heaven for a 20 year old DM fan (who continues to be even at this age). I have stayed with them through their musical changes, through band departures, Dave's drug addictions, and solo ventures. Their most recent album Playing the Angel is one of the best of their career, in my personal opinion. Will DM be the Gen X Rolling Stones. Quite possibly. No matter how good or bad their albums may be, they always sell out shows. They play worldwide to audiences from Eastern Europe to Asia to North and South America. As long as they keep touring, I will continue to see them live!

1 Comments:

Blogger the ginger tabby said...

And next time you see them, I'll join you :)

The Ginger Tabby

5:28 PM, October 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home