Musings, thoughts, getting through winter, and news links

Friday, December 28, 2007

Top 10 movies of the year

Since it is that time of year, it is only fitting to post my top 10 movies of the year (of the movies I have seen).

#10 - 300. For men in loincloths, particularly Gerard Butler! Not a great script, but really compelling viewing (for Gerry's abs alone, worth the price of admission).

#9 - Om Shanti Om. For a hot Shah Rukh, great dancing, some of the best songs I have heard in ages, and that killer Bollywood number (bringing together many Bollywood greats on screen)!

#8 - Grindhouse. Two words: Zoe Bell! Josh Brolin's other great film this year.

#7 - Control. Powerful. Haunting. A spot-on performance by Sam Riley.

#6 - Lars and the Real Girl. With its premise, you think this is going to be comedy, but alas it is not. It is both heart wrenching and heartwarming. Another great performance from Ryan Gosling.

#5 - Waitress. What can I say, Keri Russell and Nathan Fillion have such great on-screen chemistry, how could this fail? And those pies made my mouth water.

#4 - Into the Wild. Wow! Beautiful cinematography, great screenplay, and amazing acting all combined for one of the most memorable movies of the year. Stays with you long after the movie has ended.

#3 - 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. Blew me away. One of the only films this year to tackle the issue of abortion, and it was done so well.

#2 - No Country for Old Men. And I usually hate Tommy Lee Jones as an actor, but here he was so good. Great script, memorable performances from Josh Brolin, Kelly Macdonald, and, of course Javier Bardem, and the sparse Texas landscape all come together to make one memorable film.

#1 - Juno. This was hands down my favourite movie of the year. Nothing else came close! It not only had Diablo Cody's fabulous script, but it also had amazing acting from both Ellen Page and Jason Bateman!

Honourable mentions: 2 Days in Paris, Away from Her, Chak De India, Death at a Funeral, Eastern Promises, Hot Fuzz, Talk to Me, American Gangster, Bourne Ultimatum

5 Comments:

Blogger the ginger tabby said...

I concur with Lars & The Real Girl, Into the Wild, and Away From Her making it onto your Top Ten list. I have yet to see Juno but hope to do so in the near future, with Lisa C.

12:03 PM, December 28, 2007

 
Blogger Allison said...

Away from Her was just on the honourable mentions list!

1:54 PM, December 28, 2007

 
Blogger the ginger tabby said...

Let's not be picky now...lol...Away from her was a great movie! :)

4:03 PM, December 28, 2007

 
Blogger Peter said...

How sad that I've seen so few movies in 2007, but I told Conrad we WILL get to at least one a month together this year!

8:08 PM, January 01, 2008

 
Blogger Allison said...

Excellent plan! I look forward to hearing about your movie-going experiences.

9:31 AM, January 03, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home